Minutes of the mozilla.org Staff Meeting of Monday 7th February 2005
Monday February 14th, 2005
By Gervase Markham
Present: raphael, mitchell, dougt, chofmann, sarah, asa, chase, myk,
dbaron, cbeard, dmose, jst, bienvenu, mscott, blizzard, gerv, justdave,
- Freezing tomorrow
- New roadmap been published to the roadmap page and the relevant newsgroups
- Got through all nominations, we've got 29 open blockers
- Lots of stuff on list that were minused on 1.0
- Some bugs have been around for a while; there are differences in perceptions in those problems since we shipped
- List was fairly load balanced
- Trying to get all of those knocked out by the end of the week, testing next week
- Ben has posted a good update to the FF 1.1 roadmap and his preferences rewrite, and laid out the new schedule
- Asa needs to get with cbeard and plan for nomination process
- Spotlighting contributors
Relationship between MoFo and mozilla.org
- Mitchell's view:
- In the old days it was Mozilla.org.staff that made day to day decisions
- Advantage of Mozilla staff is that it is broader than a single employment organization, single management chain, that is valuable
- As a project we want to continue to have a role for Mozilla Staff that is separate from being a Foundation employee.
- Foundation employees are involved in the day to day operation.
- Role of staff would be the same as it as used to be, operational focus shift more toward Foundation employees.
- Suggest that we have a role for Mozilla staff — meritocracy, based on skills and invitation
- Some role for speaking for the project that is different from Foundation, has some legitimacy
- Project bigger than Foundation
- Shouldn't set Foundation up as the voice of the project
- Need checks and balances
- Asa's thoughts:
- Some functions that staff have performed are appointing module owners and peers; arbitrators of dispute
- In light of weak ownership in some areas, and unowned modules, strong role for a group of people who don't have ties to the same management chain
- It is probably more important now then it was then
- How does someone become a member of staff? Clearer process
- Sort out staff@ list vs. mofo@ list
- Email addresses have been given out ad-hoc
- Employees also need @mozillafoundation.org addresses
- gerv and blizzard only non-Foundation people involved in the last year
- shaver and dmose are staff associates; but do speak for the project a little bit
- Dmose's thoughts:
- Need to first figure out what the different roles are.
- Avoid duplicate chains of command.
- Technical (drivers) vs. non-technical (staff).
- Defining new policies is a staff job?
- Staff could report to the board on project progress
- Non-revenue voice for the project; the dynamics change once there's money involved
- Offsite meeting last Friday with blake, bart, asa, Joe Houston, rafael, cbeard
- SpreadFirefox is going to structure itself as a project within Mozilla
- Code in CVS, issue tracking through Bugzilla
- Talked about sysadmin issues
- They will come back with a roadmap
- Still in a limbo state, a bit
- asa, ben, chase, myk, dave + cbeard met with scott k and mike m from OSL.
- Integrating build system with update services
- Security strategies + mirror integrity
- Client-side requirements — hashing etc.
- Bouncer tool tests mirrors already
- Can't do 1.0.1 without melting the system unless bouncer works
- Desktop Linux Summit on Friday in San Diego
- Linuxworld in Boston — sharing booth
- mscott got his first birdie
Got a response? TalkBack!